Filing for Permanent Residence in the United States through a family sponsored immigration process is a great way to obtain a Green Card to live and work in the United States. It is a complicated process, but a solid opportunity to gain permanent residence as quickly as possible. Eligible relatives are divided into two categories: Immediate Relatives and Family Preference relatives. There is no limit to the number of visas that can be issued to immediate relatives (spouses and minor children of US Citizens), giving applicants in this category an advantageous priority. Family preference relatives must wait for permanent residence (green card) to become available, a process that can take many years. Therefore, it is critical that you start immediately to make sure you get in line!

We are ready to help you build your life in the United States. Contact us online or call (310) 477-0047 to schedule an initial consultation today.


If you have an immediate relative (US citizen spouse or parent) who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, they may be able to sponsor you for your Permanent Residence or what some may call a Green Card. United States Citizens can sponsor their spouses, children, parents, and siblings, while Lawful Permanent residents can only sponsor their spouses and unmarried children.

Depending if you file for permanent residence inside the United States through Adjustment of Status or outside through Consular Processing it is key to consult with our office to determine which process is most advantageous to you and your case. Watch founder immigration lawyer, Andrea Szew, explain the difference between the two options to permanent residence in this video How to get a Green Card! Learn how to become a United States Permanent Resident.

Having a spouse or parent that is a US Citizen is a great opportunity and allows for the easiest path to permanent residence (green card) in the United States. If you are in this category you should act now and apply to obtain your permanent residence today. Be aware that if you are sponsored by your spouse and your marriage is less than two years old, you will initially receive a conditional permanent resident card (green card) that expires after two years. You must then remove the conditions on that green card in the 90-day window before your permanent resident card expires.

Assistance with removing your condition on your Permanent Resident Card (green card) is available today. Contact us online or call (310) 477-0047 to start your application right away.

If you not married to a US citizen or a minor child of a United States citizen then are you:

  1. an unmarried son or daughter (not a minor) of a US Citizen
  2. Spouse and minor child of a permanent resident
  3. an unmarried adult son or daughter of a permanent resident
  4. a married son or daughter of a US Citizen
  5. a Brother or sister of a US Citizen and are 21 years of age or older


If you fall under one of the above permanent residence preference categories then you can still apply for US Permanent Residence and obtain a Green Card, it just sometimes takes a little longer and requires a different process. The class of your preference will be determined, depending on your relationship to the person sponsoring you. Spouses of United States Citizens or parents of United States Citizens have immediate access to permanent resident status, therefore, do not fall under any preference. However all the other relationships listed above fall under the following preference categories:

The First Preference is for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens regardless of age.

The Second Preference includes two sub-categories: one for spouses and minor children of permanent residents; and the other for unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents.

The Third Preference category is for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

The Fourth Preference is for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens who are 21 years of age or over.

The current wait times for the above categories is listed on the Department of State website and is published monthly. It is a bit complicated to understand so do not hesitate to contact our office so we can assist you in determining which category you fall under and current wait times for each.

Our firm is ready to assist you with filing for your Permanent Residence (Green Card) today. Contact us online or call (310) 477-0047 to request an initial consultation with immigration attorney Andrea Szew – She is anxious to work with you to get you to where you want to be!

Related Posts

page 1 of 4